Friday, October 14, 2016

Andy Goldsworthy-Inspired Hike



On Monday (a dubious holiday here in the US), we took a consolation (for Curry and Me, who had been looking forward to our cancelled backpacking trip) slash punishment (for Milo, Zephyr, and Emmet, who are against leaving the house for any reason, ever, especially if it involves physical activity and/or nature) hike on one of our favorite local trails.




Autumn was in its full glory, with blue skies, high winds, and magical leaves falling through the air.















The previous night, we'd watched the documentary Rivers and Tides: Andy Goldsworthy Working with Time, and some of us were inspired to make our own Goldsworthy-esque installations.










It was fun getting visceral and hands-on in nature, rather than just walking and taking pictures.






Goldsworthy's ephemeral art makes a strong statement about impermanence and non-attachment, which I find is also the message of this season, as the leaves turn beautiful, vibrant colors only to fall away, leaving brown, lifeless branches. It's always good to be reminded to live in the now.


5 comments:

  1. So pretty. I love the leave train floating in the sparkly water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. We don't have many colored leaves down here but when my stepdad was dating my mom, he went on a trip to New England and brought me back a big bag of them. I got nominated for a Pushcart for the poem I wrote about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I'd thought to send you some leaves with the book! They are nice while they last. And congrats on the nomination. That's terrific!!

      Delete
  3. I have always loved Goldsworthy, especially in relation to Christo and all of the large-scale synthetic stuff. Beautiful photos! xo, trippingfantastic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree!! I saw Christo's "gates" in Central Park and it was pretty cool, but Goldsworthy is a whole other level of amazing.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...